Friday, August 10, 2007

a path

Where to go, what to do, which path to follow? This bowl is my pebble design, it is inspired by a a garden path. Most of my designs come from nature in both representational and inspirational ways. This is also one of my first official Little Flower Designs patterns. I finally have it available thru my site on a bowl, This is one of the designs I fell in love with right away because it helped to define my path as a potter. I am often asked by aspiring crafters how I figured out what I wanted to do and how I come up with my designs. I believe everyone has their own aesthetic and that you might need to work thru many styles and processes before you find the one that works for you. My work is labor intensive (meditative) and not everyone is cut out to spend hours on end carving and glazing but I love it. I have over 10 steps to complete each piece plus all the biz stuff that goes into Little Flower, sometimes its nice to just sit and carve or glaze, my hands already know what to do and my brain can daydream my new designs or figure out what to make for dinner! My path as a potter came about by a love for the medium and the lifestyle I observed after working for a tile making couple over 10 years ago. I often think of them in their studio and how wonderful a life they had made, bringing their dogs in, hiring artists to help out on big projects. The awesome sculptures they made during slow times. Today I am 9 months in(doing Little Flower full time) and know this is the right path for me. I question alot of things in life and second guess myself, but moving ahead on the potter's path keeps me focused and inspired.

3 comments:

lori marie said...

lovely, miss linda! i can't seem to get away from the labor intensive aesthetic myself:)

sometimes it makes me crazy and i wonder if i'm puttin in too many hours, but i don't know any other way!

smiles
lori

Linda Johnson Studio said...

Hi Lori, I wonder the same thing, I get written up as hand painted ceramics but its so much more - it's been heavy on my mind lately that the other detail of the carving and etching isn't seen... what to do!
Although, I'm not planning to change how I do things just yet - that will happen naturally : )
xoxo, Linda

lori marie said...

LOVE your hand carving post! it is so necessary to see the process in order to fully appreciate the love and time that goes into each piece.

smiles
lori